Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bearing down

Okay I get it, I'm going through a mid-life crisis.

My life is changing in significant ways. I'm aging. The rut I've been clinging to, my half job as a book critic, has been pulled out from underneath my feet. And so, in many ways the future is uncertain.

Except it's not. This too will pass. I know it.

It's like when I'm running and there's this voice telling me to stop, that I can't do this, that really I should just let myself get stronger, naturally, and slowly over time. Be a beginner forever. Just have fun.

And then there's this other voice that's saying: no, you can do more than you think, and it's worth it to deeper and longer and find it in yourself to release whatever stress is blocking you from the next level.

It's time to bear down and come through this crisis stronger, wiser, more stable, more masterful than before.