Sunday, January 22, 2012

program or be programmed

I made a spontaneous resolution in January to learn how to code. Not exactly sure now why I'm doing this. It's good to have a skill. I've been thinking back a lot recently to what I most enjoyed studying in highschool. It was actually geometry, not English. Coding is a combination of those two things.

But I'm also curious how learning to code might change the way I see the world. Or might change my behaviour in positive ways. Something about coding feels empowering. Like learning to read or write.

Also been watching lectures by Douglas Rushkoff. He's usually a pretty good visionary. His mantra these days is program or be programed. If you don't understand how your mental environment is being programmed by the web now, then you risk being programmed by forces that are not necessarily working in your best interests.

I know that the web programs me to buy.

I would rather program myself to stand.