Wednesday, November 25, 2009

the great circle

I've been spending recent mornings trying to cultivate my vision. Trying to build my desire to be genuinely happy as an antidote to my self-hatred. Just now, however, I did something really simple. The Great Circle posture.

This posture is a little deeper and more intense than holding the balloon. I sink my lower body, I raise my arms above my head, still in a circular position. Soon I'm feeling a magnetic force between my hands and my brain, or at least my frontal lobe.
They say that if you use TMS wands over the frontal lobe you can improve mood and creativity.

I forget that if I simply stand in this position eventually my brain starts to slow down and become still. I don't have to make the conscious intention to focus on awareness, or to bring my mind back to my breathing or whatever. I simply allow this magnetic energy to build and eventually I hold my brain still with my hands.

I suspect that if I were to make a regular practice of this my mood and my creativity would improve in a permanent way. So why is it that I haven't simply done this?

Is it because I get distracted by all the other things I think will bring me happiness, all the practices and intentions. What if it is as simple as doing this everyday, whenever I feel the desire, until my brain simply shifts? All this reading, all this aspiring, all this thinking. What if it's sort of useful, but not ultimately as effective as assuming this posture?