Sunday, May 15, 2016

Slow Wave

This week I'm working on sleeping more and better.

I've grown tired of being tired, and I'm serious about being happy. Sleep is the foundation to happiness. I know it it, but that's always been hard for me to manifest, because I don't sleep early or well. Wound up in my sleep disorder are my feelings towards my childhood, my loud, to often drunk and fighting parents.  Just the expectation of being woke up.  And here I am again in a place where I expect to be woken up.

I'm an adult now.  I can control my environment.  I can put industrial earplugs in.  I can put my white noise on and my sleep mask. I can crawl into bed and maximize the chances that I will got that long slow wave, dreamless sleep that is the neurological basis of a well rested mind.

According to my friend Jeff Warren, it takes about three weeks to frontload your sleep so that you are getting that slow wave early in your sleep cycle. First sleep. More important even than the eight hours.  That first four hours of good, solid, REM minmal sleep. Later you can drift into REM, into a pleasant restful state. But first the good sleep.

I'm curious to see how better sleep will effect my meditation.  The first night I tried this I was as restless as a worm.  Even this morning I had a hard time sitting still, though towards the end I was feeling that glorious magnetic connection at the crown of my head. I'm making progress.