Friday, September 20, 2013

Happiness Unleashed

Time passed quickly during this morning's meditation.  I set my timer for 80 minutes and the first time I felt the urge to look, there was only ten minutes left.

I felt the pulse, though not as strong as yesterday. Maybe it's the waning moon. Maybe it was a different room.  Don't know.  But the pulse is not the thing I take from this morning's meditation.

I had a realization that my biggest challenge in meditation is maintaining it when things are good.  When things are stressful.  When I'm worried about money, or there are toothaches on the horizon, I become an expert meditator. Suddenly, I'm able to see with such clarity where happiness really lies.  But when things are good, it's like all my conditioned beliefs take over, and meditation is secondary.

This hasn't been as true this year, in large part because of Joy Of Living.  My meditation hasn't been based on the fluctuations of fortune, but has followed a steady path.  So I'm grateful for that.  Still, to be as happy as I want to be I need to maintain at least an hour a day.  Twenty minutes is not enough to connect me to the deep sense of peace and power that makes me as useful and creative as I want to be.

Last night was a harvest moon.

During my practice today, I had a strong sense that I was receiving a tremendous amount of energy and power, from the universe, from Mingyur Rinpoche meditating right now wherever he is meditating. I think I'm starting to feel the bounty of a good strong regular practice.

May I be strong enough to receive it and use it well.