Sunday, September 16, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

Yesterday I read an article, Obama's Way.  Something that the president said has been stuck in my mind ever since.  Research shows that the simple action of making decisions degrades the ability to make further decisions.  "You need to focus your decision-making energy.  You need to routinize yourself.  You can't be going through the day distracted by trivia."
  I'm distracted, but I'm not sure it's about trivia.  Everyday I make about a hundred different decisions about what I'm going to do or be in my life.  I keep forgetting that the decision has been made.  I'm a writer. That's what I decided to become.
  I'm a stander.  I'm a cooker of non-packaged products. I'm a minimalist housekeeper.  I clean best  by throwing out.
  In the mornings I stand. I write. I tidy the kitchen, make beds, swipe bathrooms.  In the afternoons I read, I run, I get stuff ready for dinner.
  In the evenings I watch TV, socialize, and maybe soon I'll be teaching. Maybe soon I'll be speaking.
  That's my life.
  That's it, that's all.
  The decisions have been made.  My job is now just to carry them out.