Sunday, June 23, 2019

Fast--Day 1

This is a new adventure.

A couple of months ago I started a serious commitment to mindful eating, with the goal of liberating myself from cravings.

It's been going well.  I've been riding waves of hunger like a pro.  I've lost weight.  I feel healthier.  But I'm curious about a phenomenon I've read about, in which hunger disappears on the fourth day of a water fast.

From the accounts of fasts I've been reading, David Rakoff for one, eventually fasting produces an inner calm, less irritation, more clarity.

This seems daunting, but also exciting.  I can't image a life without hunger.  Eating mostly for health, sometimes for pleasure, not feeling driven and imprisoned by food, running hours every week just to keep my weight stable.

I'm going to do it!

I'm nearing what would be dinner time, and yes I'm hungry, but I'm full of hope and expectation.

From what I've read, day 2 is the worst day.  I know I've gone as long as 48 hours in the past, so I know I can do it.  Still...