Sunday, November 17, 2013

Standing for Success

So I`ve had some success.  On the advice of my damon, I finished up the draft of a New York Times Op Ed, submitted it. And from what they tell me , it`s going to be published in a couple of weeks.

This is good news, but I`ve learned to always be a little circumspect when I hit another level of my writing career. It`s easier to stand during a stagnant period, than a busy one. A little bit of success, and the next thing I know I`m being driven by all kinds of desires and aversions that derail me. I don`t want to lose the vitality I`ve developed in the last few months.

Especially when I`m experiencing success, I need to keep to at least an hour of meditation.

One thing that might be worth trying is tracking all my practices with my Insight timer. Right now I`m clocking a daily average of 98 minutes.  If I clock the time I spend in formal mediation, but also put in writing and cleaning.  I should be getting closer to four hours.  If I bring awareness into what I do, success is inevitable.

I agree with ET that you cannot become successful.  You can only be successful.

Bring high quality attention to most of what you do, and the odds of achieving wordly success are good.  But so what. The pleasures of high quality attention is a reward in itself.