Monday, February 27, 2012

Chaos Training

Most people are able to keep the chaos at bay. They have their routines that keep their house tidy and neat. They have their relationships that keep them secure. They have their money in the bank that makes them feel safe.

I don't, and I may never have these things. Maybe because of my dyspraxia. Maybe because of my upbringing. I don't know. But a life of barely contained emotional and physical chaos is what I live with.

It's stressful, but if I shift my perspective just a tiny bit, it's kind of liberating. People who don't protect themselves too firmly from chaos can become lifetime creatives. Look at my grandfather. He spent his last years singing vs. my uncle the Ford VP who spent his last years alone in a wheelchair with few visits from the many friends he once had.

A few days ago I re-watch part of journey to dyslexia, a film about learning disabilities. The people who embraced their disability and saw it as a gift were able to live rich rewarding lives where they were able to be unique and contribute to society. That's the group I want to be in.