Sunday, July 10, 2016

Core Stillness

I'm beginning to see how the subject of my life is competence.

Every book I've been grappling with seems to be about that.  And every book I haven't finished seems to be about that. 

But I still don't really feel competent, and maybe that's why I don't seem to be able to finish them. 

It's like I'm missing some kind of core competency.  Maybe that competency is the ability to feel competent. The ability to notice the small actions I take to make my life and my son't life better. Or rather the habit of doing this.  Because I have the ability.  We all have the ability to notice the small things that we do. 

It's basic behavioural theory.  To assimilate something you need to continue rewarding it from time to time. And one of the deepest and most effective rewards is simple acknowledgement. 

One of my great accomplishments is meditation.  But it's not transformative if I don't bring it into my daily life. I need to stop frequently, throughout the day, and notice that I'm doing that to keep my life, mind and heart centred and present.