Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Spirit Molecule

Last night I watched a documentary on DMT, a molecule that opens our brains up to psychedelic experiences. It's called the Spirit Molecule, if I understand correctly, because it opens up the pineal gland to experiences of the universe that seem to be transcendent and transformative.

I suppose I've become interested in this because my practice seems to be entering a new level lately. I feel this core of stillness in me that I want to maintain, and that feels more and more like a presence in my life. It has stirred in me a desire to see what might be out there, beyond my own body.

I want to be careful though that I'm not just doing this to experience some kind of altered state. I want to do this because it may be a new level of reality that is important to my growth.

The way I think I can best access this is by developing the pineal gland, which corresponds in some religions to the "third eye".  When I feel any kind of energy, I adjust slightly so that I can "see" it.  This doesn't mean see it in the same way I see trees. But more to perceive it as though it were a visual thing. For instance when I feel the warm energy of my Tan Tien, I see it as what I think it would look like, orange liquid warmth. As I feel the magnetic energy entering my crown, I see it as lucid, highly focussed light. In time, I hope, if there is anything to see, I may even be able to see it.

Last night I'm almost sure I felt flashes of light above my head, but I'm not entirely sure.

This morning I woke at dawn and did this practice. Visualization makes things easier to focus, so the hour felt much shorter.

I saw gratitude in my heart.  I saw the pulsing desire of compassion. I saw my basic goodness.

And seeing is believing.