Sunday, August 4, 2013

Shining Wisdom

After five months following level one of the Tergar program I'm starting to feel the fruits of my practice. I've weathered a challenging week with a difficult person, and managed to come out of it with nothing more than a few scrapes and bruises.
  The pond outside my bedroom shines with morning sunrise, and I recognize this as the wisdom that we all have access to if we can only cultivate the skill of being.
  Last night, I happened to flip to my favourite clip from the Karate Kid 2010, the one where they see the nun mirroring the snake. She controls the snake because her mind is still, and as Jackie Chan explains "there is a big difference between doing nothing and being still."
  One of the most profound insights I've had this week is that all the irritation and controlled rage I feel when I'm around my mother is really just my desire to be happy. These are strong feeling because my mind is so strong. But that same strong mind that has these uncomfortable feelings is the mind that is capable of happiness and wisdom, of profound and sustainable peace. This deep and joyful comfort and wisdom that I have moments, minutes, sometimes hours of, is really just the flip side of all the pain and discomfort.
  Yesterday morning I saw a beautiful painting by the 19th century America painter William Homer.

When I first saw it, I believed it was sunset. But this was painted at Prout's Neck, not far from where I am right now, so I know it must be sunrise. Beneath all that turbulence and the signs of an upcoming storm, beneath the blood red beginnings of the morning light, there is a calm. 

There is a beautiful day on the horizon.