Sunday, August 12, 2012

Happiness is....

According to Mathieu Ricard in Happiness:  "a deep sense of flourishing that arises from an exceptionally healthy mind.  This is not a mere pleasurable feeling, a fleeting emotion, or a mood, but an optimal state of being.  Happiness is also a way of interpreting the world, since while it may  be difficult to change the world, it is always possible to change the way we look at it."

This has been the most stressful year of my life and I'm not out of the woods yet.

But I can get out.

I will get out because I have such a fantastic skill with standing.  It is the fundamental skill of happiness.  It is the path to the flourishing sense of well being that Mathieu Ricard talks about.

Most of my life has been about acquiring knowledge.  My mother was a professor, my father a journalist.  That's the way I was raised.  I've never really thought about acquiring skills as a value.  It was all about acquiring knowledge.

But programming has changed that.

I feel the flourishing of knowledge as I do this.  Just as I have felt the flourishing of peace when I commit to standing.

I will get out.

Because when you have a  healthy mind you see the patterns.  You see the right patterns.  You see what needs to be done and you do it.