Friday, November 11, 2011

Hockey Stick Standing

Yesterday I saw a video made by master teacher Shinzen Young. He uses a hockey stick as a metaphor for exponential growth. In his experience, after you've practiced long enough you eventually hit an exponential growth curve that becomes such a powerful feedback loop, your practice changes you permanently.

I have come so close to that curve so many times in my practice, but something is stalling me. It just hit me what it is today. I have no end of the day standing practice. I'm great at beginning of the day. It's second nature to me now. But end of the day is still more often than not Jon Stewart. Nothing wrong with laughing yourself to sleep. But without the end of the day practice I don't have the feedback loop I need to snowball this practice.

So, starting tonight: six months of evening zhan zhuang.