Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Taking Refuge

Last weekend I travelled to Boston to take refuge.

I have a new name, Karma Rangdrol Lhamo.  In English: Self-liberated goddess. 

Taking refuge means another level of committment, beyond anything I've done before in the almost 15 years since I started this journal.  I'm not sure exactly when this root really took.  In part it's a pre-requisite for studying Dzogchen, which is something I've been wanting to do for a while.  In part it's grown out of the night my father died and I had no way to spiritually honour him than to read chapter 10 of The Way of the Bodhisattva. Something clicked deeply for me when I read the lines "as long as space endures, and beings are to be found, may I remain to drive away the sorrows of the world." 

My father gave me my love of religion, but he also grew disenchanted with Catholicism in the end, as I have. But I need devotion in my ife. 

Whatever the cause, this feels right...