Sunday, January 24, 2021

Joy, Meaning, Connection

Slowly, but surely, I'm feeling a coherence in my life. 

The different practices connect, meditation, walking, eating well and mindfully, cleaning, writing, planning and mindful review.  Since I've stopped eating past 7 pm, I fall asleep and stay asleep more easily. Today I had a jhana meditation, in which I could feel the serotonin rising from my gut to nourish my heart and my brain. 

The habit I'm trying to build into my life right now is clarity. It is, according to a book I'm reading, the child of careful thought and mindful experimentation.  It starts with knowing yourself.  In his monthly teaching, Mingyur Rinpoche, talks of the three kind of ways we can sense the self,  unhealthy, healthy and luminous. Unhealthy sense sees the self as permanent, independent and singular.  The healthy sense of self self, sees it as impermanent, interdependent and multidimensional. And then there is the luminous. The self beyond the self that emerges from the unity of these two.  It is both impermanent and permanent, independent and interdependent, multidimensional and one. 

To achieve more clarity in my life, I have chosen three words to describe the self I want to sense and  as the future unfolds: joyful, meaningful and connected. 

May I sense more and more, everyday this luminous self. May it guide me.  May it guide me in how to guide others.