Sunday, January 18, 2015

Full Catastrophe Living

If I am to live a life of abundance, I'm going to have to get a grip on my tendency to get overexcited when things start to go well.  This is a recurring pattern in my life.  I can see it in this journal. What I want to see now is the recurring path out.

Overexcitement feels like energy trapped in my head,  So when I'm dealing with it this week, I'm watching it like any energy that will sink down to my core if I simply sit and watch it. The goal of that practice is to bring it down to a more joyful constructive excitement, an enthusiasm that becomes motivation.

Pema Chodron calls overexcitement the "near enemy" of joy.  In the past I've tended to focus on the enemy part of that label. But just for today I'm going to focus on the nearness.  Overexcitement  is a emotion that is close to joy and to try too hard to manage it, does mean risking its close and wonderful peer.  Better to think of it as a frenemy.